Friday, March 9, 2007

Quotes of the Day from the works of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar

Addresses delivered on anniversaries of Great Men are generally occasional pieces. They do not have much permanent value.

It is better to make mistakes than to accept guidance and direction from others or to sit silent and allow things to deteriorate.

No one can hope to make any effective mark upon his time, and bring the aid that is worth bringing to great principles and struggling causes, if he is not strong in his love and his hatred.

I hate injustice, tyranny, pompousness and humbug, and my hatred embraces all those who are guilty of them.

I regard my feelings of hatred as a real force. They are only the reflex of the love I bear for the causes I believe in, and I am in no wise ashamed of it.

I love India more. That is the true faith of a nationalist.

I am no worshipper of idols. I believe in breaking them.

Finally Who is Great Man? What is the role of Man in Making of History?- Dr B R Ambedkar put it in his characteristic way:

Flint may not exist everywhere. But where it does exist, it needs man to strike flint against flint to make fire. Seeds may not be found everywhere. But where they do exist, it needs man to ground it to powder and make it a delectable and nutritious paste and thereby lay the foundation of agriculture. There are many areas devoid of metals. But where they do exist, it needs a man to make instruments and machines which are the basis of civilization and culture. A Man will become Great Man with the help of Intellect and Sincerity but not without acting as a Scourge and Scavenger of Society.


Great Men Play vital role in societal growth and renewal

A Great Man must be a scourge and scavenger of society

No comments: